Is Solar Energy in the Coachella Valley Worth It?
If you are looking to switch your home or commercial property to solar energy, sifting through all of the information available can be overwhelming. At Stada Energy, our experts have put together a helpful guide to help you get started and learn the main pros and cons of making the big decision to install a solar panel system.
Start saving by switching to solar energy! Contact Stada Energy today to learn how.
Advantages of Solar Energy
There are several advantages to using solar energy, most of which you will reap the benefit of immediately after making the switch. Overall solar energy:
- Saves you money: Due to the harsh desert climate, cooling your property is much more expensive year-round in the Coachella Valley. With solar energy, you can see an average of $1,500 a year on utility bills. That can add up to tens of thousands of dollars in savings over the lifetime of the solar panel system. Additionally, with California’s net metering program, you can send excess energy you generate back for credits on your next utility bill.
- Increases the property value of your home: According to the U.S. Department of Energy, a typical PV system added approximately $15,000 or 4.1% in value to a property.
- Acts as insurance against rising energy prices: Known as “energy independence,” relying on solar energy means you are protected from the unpredictable and volatile cost of home energy bills, as we have seen in recent years.
- Reduces your carbon footprint: Curbing the impacts of climate change has never been more important. Solar energy is more environmentally friendly to power your home and reduce your personal fossil fuel emissions.
- Solar is cheaper than ever: Twenty years ago, solar panels were four times the cost they are now; 22% less than they cost in 2015. And that trend is continuing as solar becomes the standard. Additionally, in 2022, Congress passed the Inflation Reduction Act, extending the residential clean energy credit until 2034.
Downsides of Using Solar Energy
There are a few issues with solar energy that you should educate yourself about so you can determine what is right for you. Luckily, the cons are minimal, and most do have solutions.
- Solar does not generate all the time: In the Coachella Valley, we rarely have to worry about a lack of sunshine or overcast days that affect solar energy generation. However, because solar mostly works in real-time, it means you are not generating power through solar at night. Luckily, battery storage can be used to cover times without solar energy generation, and there are financial incentives available to attain these. Additionally, the utility grid in the Coachella Valley is the forerunner in renewable energy grids, many days operating just at or just above 100% renewable energy!
- Some roofs are not compatible: Depending on your roof orientation and shading, there may be some complications when trying to switch to solar. However, there are often solutions and alternative options that can be available. Call Stada Energy for a free quote and get a consultation!
- Expensive upfront to install: Solar panel installation—when done correctly—can definitely cause some sticker shock, costing an average of $20,000 in total (including installation). However, there are many options to finance your system such as solar loans, solar leases, and power purchase agreements (PPA). There are also federal, state, and localy-based programs and financial incentives that can help offset the cost of your PV system.
Switching to Solar Energy in the Coachella Valley with Stada Energy
At Stada Energy, we know how important managing energy is in the harsh desert climate of the Coachella Valley. Although switching to solar energy can be a big investment, we can help guide you and answer any questions you have.
Have more questions about switching to solar? Contact us today to ask questions, or to schedule your installation with Stada Energy in the Coachella Valley!